One of my most favorite soups is the Chicken and Wild Rice. I could eat this stuff a couple times a week. You can serve this in a bread bowl or just serve with bread. Yummy my mouth is just watering thinking about it.
Try it out and let me know what you think.
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- 2 cups mirepoix (chopped celery, carrots, and onions)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- ½ cup butter
- ¾ cup flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- a few tablespoons white wine (optional)
- up to 2 cups additional milk or water
- Rinse the wild rice. Place the uncooked wild rice, raw chicken, mirepoix, chicken broth, and poultry seasoning in a crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours. The chicken should be cooked through and the rice should be soft. There will be extra liquid in the crockpot; do not drain.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the crockpot and allow to cool slightly. Shred the chicken. Return the shredded chicken to the crockpot.
- When rice and chicken are done cooking, melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the flour and let the mixture bubble for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the whole milk until a thick, creamy mixture forms. Stir in the wine.
- Add this to the rice and chicken in the crockpot and stir to combine. Add extra water or milk to adjust the consistency as you like it. Season with additional salt and pepper.
Then eat and Enjoy